I was talking with a dear friend this week and during our conversation she directed me to God and His great love for me. I caught myself thinking as she spoke; "yeah, God's love; He loves everyone. I know. I've heard it a million times before..." I quickly stopped myself realizing how lightly I was viewing it. I was so ashamed! It is because of His love that I am complete. He not only is the God of love (Jn. 4:16) but He loves me personally even when I don't deserve an ounce of it. God's love is the only love that is so deep and so sure!
Man says "I love you." But God says "This is love: not that we loved God, but that he loved us and sent His Son as an atoning sacrifice for our sins." (1 Jn. 4:10 NIV)
...the love of the God who is spirit is no fitful, fluctuating thing, as the love of man is, nor is it mere impotent longing for things that may never be; it is, rather, a spontaneous determination of God's whole being in an attitude of benevolence and benefaction, an attitude freely chosen and firmly fixed. There are no inconstancies or vicissitudes in the love of the almighty God who is spirit. His love is 'strong as death...many waters cannot quench it' (Song, 8:6). Nothing can separate from it those whom it has once embraced (Rom. 8:35-39).
Man says: "I'll love you as long as I live." But God says: "I have loved thee with an everlasting love." (Jer. 31:3)
Man says: "I will always love you as long as we're together." But God says: "Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? Shall tribulation, or distress, or persecution, or famine, or nakedness, or peril or sword?...For I am persuaded, that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor powers, nor things present, nor things to come, nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature , shall be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.
Man says: "I'll love you as long as your lovable." God says: "But God, who is rich in mercy, for His great love wherewith He loved us, even when we were dead in sins, hath quickened us up together with Christ (by grace ye are saved.) (Eph. 2:4-5)
God's love is an exercise of His goodness toward sinners. As such, it has the nature of grace and mercy. It is an outgoing of God in kindness which not merely is undeserved, but is actually contrary to desert; for the objects of God's love are rational creatures who have broken God's law, whose nature is corrupt in God's sight, and who merit only condemnation and final banishment from His presence. It is staggering that God should love sinners; yet it is true. God loves creatures who have become unlovely and (one would have thought) unloveable. There was nothing whatever in the objects of His love to call it forth; nothing in man could attract or prompt it. Love among men is awakened by something in the beloved, but the love of God is free, spontaneous, unevoked, uncaused. God loves men because He has chosen to love them... -Knowing God by J.I. Packer p. 112
God's love is the only the deep, abiding, definite, unchanging, personal, pure, everlasting love we could ever have the privilege of being the recipients of. This is reason to rejoice and take great fulfillment. Though God loves the whole world (Jh. 3:16) not everyone has accepted this great love. Only believers know the great depth and price of such a love---which cost God His life.
God's love to sinners was expressed by the gift of His Son to be their Savior. The measure of love is how much it gives, and the measure of the love of God is the gift of HIs only Son to be made man, and to die for sins, and so to become the one mediator who can bring us to God. No wonder Paul speaks of God's love as "great", and passing knowledge! (Eph. 2:4, 3:19.) Was there ever such costly munificence? -Knowing God by J.I Packer p. 114
There's so much on God's love to be dwelt and meditated on. My encouragement to you this Valentines Day, whether you have someone special in your life or not, is to do three things...
First, realize the gift you have been given. Because of His love and the death of Christ on the cross, you have been freed from the power of sin and have the blessed privilege to come boldly before the throne of grace. Your greatest debt has been taken care of and you now enjoy the greatest blessing of being God's child. It cost Him His blood. Realize what love it took to grant you such an honor.
Second, understand that you have what most people are still searching for. Even on this day while many couples express their love to one another, many are still empty and searching for unconditional fulfillment. This is only to be found in Christ. No man/woman could ever complete you and make you happy, no matter how great or wonderful they actually are. Cling to Christ who is the only one that can love you fully and satisfy the deep longings within your soul. Be grateful because so many don't know what it means to be truly loved.
And last, but not least, make it personal. God loves you. He loves you just the way you are there's nothing you could ever do to earn it or make it grow. He chose you and you are precious in His sight. Believe it; meditate on it; thank God for it!
If we take a different viewpoint on Valentines Day, it doesn't have to be a burden for those without a "special somebody." Perhaps the roses, chocolate and love letters will come in the future, but I urge you to don't let Valentines pass by when you already have a "lover of your soul." Dwell on the Lord's love today and take some special time to be with Him. With the kind of love He has granted, continues to give, and will always bestow, we have only reason to be completely satisfied.
How can true love be?
Where can unconditional devotion be met?
To end the search for true love's key,
That every human searches to get,
The one True God of heaven and earth,
Has shown us love like no being can,
His affection was proved from His birth,
As God was born a man,
Giving one's life is the ultimate gift,
How could a soul give more?
From Jesus' death sins from us lift,
It's slaves we are no more,
Jesus loves me; His love is true,
To Him my love is forever due.
-Brooke, sonnet written February 14th, 2008
2 comments:
This is an excellent post, Brooke, and a good reminder for me.
Thanks so much for posting it. :)
Excellent thoughts Brooke!! That was really encouraging to me :)
Thanks & have a blessed week!
Love, Elizabeth
Post a Comment