“Write down the thoughts of the moment. Those that come unsought for are commonly the most valuable.”

- Francis Bacon

Sunday, January 4, 2009

Some of Last Year's Reads


I kept record and I was able to read 29 books in 2008. And to think I was only 1 away from 30! I really wish I had been able to read more. Twenty-nine really isn't alot as it averaged about 2-3 books a month.

I thought I'd share some of my favorites from 2008 with you and perhaps give you a taste of some books you can read for yourself in 2009! (Note, these are not in any order.)


  1. Passionate Housewives Desperate For God by Jennie Chancy and Stacie McDonald.
This is absolutely one of my favorite books. It was so good I read it twice. ;) Jennie and Stacie did an excellent job exposing the myths and lies of the "housewife" stereotype according to the culture and instead reveled to us true "liberation" through God's Word and His high calling of wife, homemaker and mother.

What I loved most about this book was the realization that without the Lord and the greatest purpose of serving Him you can't be content and fully satisfied with doing anything, including any vocation (especially being a homemaker/mother!). I also appreciated the great emphasis on what God truly desires and what He calls the greatest: being a servant.

If you haven't read this book, I'd strongly encourage you no matter your age to pick it up and read it soon.


2. Choosing God's Best by Dr. Don Rannikar

Definitely one of the best books I have read concerning guy/girl relationships. If you liked I Kissed Dating Goodbye or Boy Meets Girl by Joshua Harris (which I highly recommend by the way) then you'll love this one. Chapter 5 was extremely valuable with the message being that God must always be the number one in our lives and we must use our single years to deepen our relationship with Him while preparing to be a godly mate. If we want a godly spouse we must be a godly person.

If I could sum the overall message with a few words I guess it would be just the encouragement and emphasis to wait on the one God has for you and to wait on His timing.


3. Do Hard Things by Alex and Brett Harris

Our culture expects our teen years to be a time of rebellion, irresponsibility and immaturity. Instead of conforming to this "stereotype," The Harris twins inspire us to get out of our comfort zones and do hard things for the glory of God. This is truly a life-changing book and it's honestly time I read it again! Everyone needs to read this. (By the way, there is no age-limit to do hard things; click here.)


4. In the Best Possible Light: Godly Femininity in the Twenty-first Century by Beneth Peters Jones

A lovely book that not only shows us what true Biblical femininity is but also how to be so inwardly and out.


6. His Chosen Bride by Jennifer J. Lamp

Jennifer's heart for the Lord is so evident through her writing! She inspired me very much in this book with her topics of applying Proverbs 31 as a single young woman and living for the Lord with our whole hearts. This book is appropriate and useful for girls of wide ranges of ages, perhaps 12 and up. Miss Lamp (who is now married) covers so much ground in her book---you'll learn so much. But most importantly when you finish you'll greatly desire a stronger relationship with the Lord, which is the whole purpose for her project.


7. Where's Mom? by Dorthy Patterson

Although quite thin, this book is full of truth and wisdom. Mrs. Patterson's personal testimony was very touching and her writing is very thought provoking. This is defiantly a "must" read.

8. Feminine By Design by Scott Brown

Yet another book crammed with truth from God's Word. Showing the beauty of godly femininity, it is definitely a blessing.


9. Intimate Friendship with God by Joy Dawson

Very good book. It focuses on the fear of the Lord and gives a greater understanding to what it is and how we should respond. I loved the long list in the back of all the verses from the Bible on the fear of the Lord and the promises for those that fear Him.


10. What's An Alpha-Beta-Soupa?: the Indispensable Guide to College Success and Survival

I found this book to be a very informative and helpful read from also a Christian perspective. I tell you, if covers everything regarding college. Choosing a school, getting prepped, choosing a major, college life, roommates, making good grades, fiances, and lots more. If you're planning on going to college or even in the midst of it, you should definitely buy this book!


11. Passion and Purity by Elizabeth Elliot

This was an encouraging book. I was blessed and inspired to read the journey of Elizabeth's and Jim's relationship. The things I learned from this book was the blessings of patience, the beauty of purity, and the rewards of waiting on God.


-------
Well, that is a few of the 29 books I have read in 2008 that I would also encourage and endorse you to as well. I have a long list of reads I want to absorb this year. One of my 2009 goals is to read a biography every month. I believe that reading about fellow brother-and-sisters-in Christ, and especially missionaries and martyrs for the Lord, is very beneficial for one's walk with God. I have already found this to be true as I read my first one for January.

We have a large collection of biographies from Heros of the Faith and I have picked 12 for the year ahead. This is my monthly reads I have chosen:

Jan. -- Watchman Nee (excellent so far!)
Feb. -- Fanny Crosby
Mar. -- Jonathan Edwards
Apr. -- Amy Carmichael
May -- John Bunyan
June -- William Tyndale
July -- Jim Elliot
Aug. -- John Wycliff
Sept. -- Some Gave All (biographies of 4 different missionaries)
Oct. -- Hudson Taylor
Nov. -- William and Catherine Booth
Dec. -- Billy Graham


I have shared many books with you today! Are there any books that you have thoroughly enjoyed and would recommend? If so, please share! :)



4 comments:

Joyce said...

Hello,
Passing through to say hi & I love you. Very busy time at work. Still playing catch-up. Loved our time spent together at Christmas, wish it could last longer.
Aunt Joyce

Anonymous said...

Hey Brooke,

Great Post! I can't honestly say I've read many of those though! lol!

I did read a great book that I recommend to everybody. It is called "Don't waste your life" written by John Piper! Awesome Book!!

I hope this post finds you and your family well! Have a great day!

In Christ,Nathan

SuperAngel said...

Great list! :) I so want to read that one by Mrs. Chancey and Mrs. McDonald!
You read 9 more books than I did! lol! I couldn't believe I had read 20 books and 5,297 pages when I counted them up! whoa!

Hope you are doing good! I love ya and miss ya! and I will be answering your email! ;)
HUGS and LOVES!
Amanda
The Daily Planet

The Sisters said...

Hi Brooke,
Those sound like really great books! We will have to look into getting some of them!

~Have a great weekend!
P.S. do you mind if we add your blog to our links list?

~Holly&Katie~