“Write down the thoughts of the moment. Those that come unsought for are commonly the most valuable.”

- Francis Bacon

Monday, May 24, 2010

All the Days of Her Life






Proverbs 31:10-12

Who can find a virtuous woman? for her price is far above rubies....
She will do him [her husband] good and not evil all the days of her life.

Once a woman marries, she chooses to love, cherish, give herself to, and grow in intimacy with only one man for the rest of her life. With her vows and covenant before God, she promises to forsake all other men and promises to be faithful to her husband until death parts them. These are obvious assumptions regarding marriage, but the question is---why wait to begin loving that one man until he comes into your life, puts a ring on your finger, or marries you?

Verse 12 in Proverbs 31 has always stood out to me. A virtuous woman will seek to do her husband good "all the days of her life." We don't read "until she gets married" or "once he asks her to be his." Instead, the virtuous woman will do her husband good all her days, which well includes the days before her prince comes into her life. It was because of this verse that I realized faithfulness to my future groom did not begin on my wedding day but long before I met him.

If we are to marry, God has a special man picked out just for us to spend the rest of our lives with. Because God never intended for us to use our single years to have intimate opposite sex relationships until the right one comes, we should not wait to be faithful to our future mates. Instead we should prepare being virtuous wives by striving to do our future husbands good long before he comes into our lives.

How can I do my future husband good now?

There are several things you can be doing now for your future husband, which I call the four P's. :) You can be preserving, preparing, praying, and patiently waiting for him.

Preserve yourself for him. One of the best things you can do for your future husband is to love him by saving yourself for him. You can do this by dressing modestly, guarding your affections, and saving all physical intimacy for your future marriage.

Prepare for him. Prepare for a future, Christ-centered marriage by training to be a godly woman, growing in character, learning to run a home, and perhaps even saving some special items in a hope chest.

Pray for him. You can pray for the man God has for you long before you meet him. This is something that will greatly bless him and will add much "good" to his life now and in the future.

Patiently wait for him. God's way and timing is perfect. Determine that until God brings that special man in your life, you are going to patiently wait for him by being faithful, waiting on God's timing, and keeping your focus on loving and serving Christ.


The benefits for doing your husband good long before you meet him are great. Not only will you have his full trust (Proverbs 31:11), but you will also have so much to give him once you join your life to his. It may be difficult at times to be considerate of a man you may have never met, but once the day comes that you give yourself fully to him and you walk down the aisle to meet him on your wedding day, you will have no regrets and your groom will be so grateful. God will indeed bless you. So don't wait until you have a wedding dress or a ring on your finger to begin honoring your future husband. Start doing him good by loving and being considerate of him right now.
This is a gift that will truly one day bless his heart.



2 comments:

Clara said...

This is so true - and I want to encourage you in this... It is not an easy thing to do in this world, but even though the world changes, God never does! It will take a lot of dependence on Him, and I would encourage you to NEVER *ever* take your eyes off Him, because if you do, it will be easy to fall into temptation - take it from someone who knows this. And giving into temptation brings with it many many regrets and memories that cannot be undone. So keep "looking unto JESUS" as you seek to do your future husband good "all the days of your life". In Christ, Clara
http://danielandclara.blogspot.com/

Ashley said...

This verse has stood out to me too, and it's one I think of and ponder often. Thanks for sharing your thoughts!
This week, while at work, I've cooked a nice lunch for the maintenance guys. We normally have just sandwiches or hot dogs, but this week I've made spaghetti, parmesan chicken, etc. It's been really enjoyable to just serve them that way, and yesterday I realized, that's because I'm a woman and that's what I desire to do -- serve my husband! (not that I expect to marry any of the maintenance guys :-) but you know what I mean.)

I hope you're doing well! God bless!
Ashley