“Write down the thoughts of the moment. Those that come unsought for are commonly the most valuable.”

- Francis Bacon

Friday, January 22, 2010

Refreshing Reads for 2010


Looking for a good book to read in 2010? Well, I have many to recommend to you! I read some of the most inspiring books in 2009 and hopefully after getting a taste of some of them, it will spur you to read them as well :) Enjoy! (BTW: these are in no particular order in case you are wondering)

https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEgITTdxKZFOdq5l7GTikC0pp14f3_i2BO_5FlDVXPjeAW5i3NCSS5jNA7gRzpAHElsqQTnIfCby_EBqzXffpmRy2zen-OCCK92Oo-Cvm_zUg3V0aKaqNUH-NRyE-IFwCx5x945FYGHSMH0/s320/Girl_Reading_Manch_1878.jpg

1. Set A-Part Femininity by Leslie Ludy

This is one of the most inspiring and challenging books to godliness I've ever read. This book is a radical call to living a counterculture lifestyle for the glory of God. It is a fresh vision of God's amazing purpose for our lives as young women and I think every female should read this book.


2. Womanly Dominion by Mark Chanski

This is one of the best books I've ever read. Centering on the subject of women's roles and duties according to God, it is great encouragement to our high calling to wife and motherhood. I cheered and verbally praised God while turning through each page. It was so straight-forward and so liberating! Instead of desiring something we were not created to be or do, Chanski encourages and inspires women to "play their position" with all their might and with a desire to "win it" for the glory of God." If we as women would just do this and whole-heartily embrace our job, we'd be so fulfilled and there would be so much to accomplish for God. I loved the perspective of Chanski to "get in there and do what you're supposed to do with all you've got!" This book is so precious to me because it's a subject that is dear to my heart. I thank the Lord for this publication.


3. Lady In Waiting by Jackie Kendall

This is a great book and one of my tops. It focuses on what we as ladies should be doing in our unmarried years by focusing on developing certain character qualities (which are based on the Biblical character of Ruth). This book is a must-read for all young ladies.


4. A Man Worth Waiting For: How to Avoid a Bozo by Jackie Kendall

This book is a sequel to A Lady In Waiting and is a worth reading if you are unmarried. Jackie shows us throughout the book detailed descriptions of a man we should be waiting for--a Boaz (from the Biblical hero from the book of Ruth), and the one we should avoid---the Bozos. It's also a reminder of what we should be striving to become if we want a have a Boaz.


5. Beautiful in God's Eyes by Elizabeth George

Another top read of mine! A beautiful book exploring the joyous outlook, feminine grace, and strength of character of the Proverbs 31 woman and how we can be one too. It's informative, inspiring, and very practical.


6. Improving Your Serve by Charles Swindoll

I, Me, Mine, Myself---it's the monument of self, and it's what most people spend the majority of their lives building. This book is about not being a getter, but a giver----not a superstar, but a servant. Its message is counter-culture to what we're used to, but the very heart is focusing on what God calls the greatest, and that is being a servant. If you read this, make sure you have a highlighter ready because there's lots to think about and remember :)


7. Crazy Love by Francis Chan

From the back of the book: "Does something deep inside your heart long to break free from the status quo? Are you hungry for an authentic faith that addresses the problems of our world with tangible, even radical, solutions? God is calling you to a passionate love relationship with Himself. Because the answer to religious complacency isn't working harder at a list of do's and don'ts----it's falling in love with God. And once you encounter His love....you'll never be the same."

-All I have to say: this book will wake you up to real Christian living. It's so worth the read.


8. 20 and Counting by Michelle and JimBob Duggar

I loved this book! It gave me a deeper appreciation for the Duggar family (even though I had much respect for them before I read it!). I loved reading about their history and the behind-the-scenes details of their lives. It was also full of special resources, tips, recipes, and other things (reading about their methods of child discipline and training was very interesting!). Most of all, I appreciated the Duggar's heart to be used for the Lord for His glory. Their testimony really blessed me :)


9. Christian Modesty and the Undressing of America by Jeff Pollard

After reading this book you'll never look at modesty the same again. It's also very eye-opening as it reveals the progressive acceptance of public nakedness relating to the bathing suit industry. Really recommend this!


10. Mother by Kathleen Norris

This is a novel which portrays the importance of motherhood. It touched me in a special way and I couldn't help to tear up towards the ending. I hope to pass this book down to my own children one day.


11. A Thankful Heart by Carole Lewis

Centered on the verse, 1 Thess. 5:18, this book could sincerely change your life. Carole shows us how we can practically apply this verse to our life using several examples from her own. This book is so worth the read and I promise it will bless you greatly if you do.


12. What He Must Be If He Wants to Marry My Daughter by Voddie Baucham

Another wonderful book about what we should be looking for in a young man. Another must read for daughters and parents alike!


13. How to Become a Straight A Student by Cal Newport

This book is a lifesaver! I know without a doubt that it has saved me from much pain and meaningless hours of unprofitable study time at school. My plan for college was to just jump on the boat of tradition of how the normal student studies and prepares for class. I am so thankful that Cal has showed us a better, more effective way!! His book makes sense and is very practical. I love how he gives examples of how students can apply step by step the ideas he presents. This is an excellent book and mandatory for all college students.


14. Fireproof: the novel by Eric Wilson

Though I've seen the movie and knew the message of the plot, something about the novel made the truths in the story more real and special to me. I was spurred on to the meaning of true love and really enjoyed going behind the scenes of the characters from the movie. I really enjoyed it and learned a lot of Biblical truths too.


15. Biography of Watchman Nee

This is one of my favorite and one of the best biographies I have ever read. Watchman's testimony inspired my heart deeply. My Mom has always encouraged me to read it and I finally did last year and I'm so glad I did. If you wish to be inspired to a deeper faith and love for Christ, this is the book to read.



16. One Thing You Can't Do In Heaven by Mark Cahill

I can't tell you what an inspiration this book was! This message on witnessing is full of encouragement and many stories. Mark Cahill is such a wonderful example of one who has given his life completely to God and the work of the gospel. His book is full of practical tips on sharing the gospel if you don't know where to start, and great real-life stories of inspiration if you need a boost to do it more. Either way, you will not be sorry if you read this book.




10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great suggestions! After reading this I ordered three them from our library interloan system. :) I read The Public Undressing of America a few years ago, and haven't thought the same way about swimwear since. (Still looking for something truly modest but not frumpy or granny-like.)

Thanks!

Holly said...

You're constantly reading! Lol. You read like 35 books a year while I have a goal to at least finish a book. Haha.

Love you sis,
Holly

Katie said...

I love your blog!!!

Danielle said...

Hello Brooke!
I am a friend of Jeremy, Emily, and Holly. I have heard so much about you, that I feel like I know you! So I figured I would introduce myself to you! I wish you the best at college!
Danielle

SuperAngel said...

hey Brooke!
I really enjoyed the Christian Modesty book. Great points!

I really want to read the Voddie Baucham one! I need to get it! :)

Hope you're doing good. Miss you loads!
{hugs}

haydenlorraine said...

Hey Brooke! Love your blog! I completely agree with #8! It is an amazing book and I love the duggar family! They have an amazing testimony. Keep up the great work!

Hayden Lorraine~
Ecc 3:1

Ashley said...

Hi Brooke!
It's been a long time since I've been over here. I should come more often because I really enjoy your blog. :-)
Hey, I wanted to let you know that I've started a new blog over on blogger.com. Most of my blog friends from here have either quit blogging or moved to different sites, and I decided to try to "start fresh." My new blog address is http://dreamsthatmovethemountains.blogspot.com/ Hope you'll come visit!

Thanks for all the book suggestions - I see a couple I might want to check out.

God bless,
Love, Ashley

Stephanie said...

Wow! What a great list! I ordered several from my library. Better get reading!

Have you ever read The Bravehearted Gospel by Eric Ludy? One of my favorites from them.

-Stephanie
(from the Rebelution forum)

Natalie said...

Love this list. I read quite of few of those books in 2009 too! And I enjoyed them all!

Randy Webb said...

Hey Brooke,
I am back....virtually speaking. randywebb.net is officially updated regularly now.

I'm updating on The Rising Fall (band) news, my solo concerts, art, things I find interesting on the internet, and politics.

It's a mixed bag of the strangeness that God created....also known as me.

By the way, I hope school is going great.

Much Love,
Randy