“Write down the thoughts of the moment. Those that come unsought for are commonly the most valuable.”

- Francis Bacon

Saturday, June 14, 2008

It's over---finally

*Huge sigh of relief*

It's finally over. I woke up at 5:45 a.m. this morning, left the house at 7:00 a.m., drove to a school 45 minutes from here and sat down for 4 hours to take the A.C.T. test. On a side note, you may be surprised to know that I have never walked through the halls of a public school before in my entire life until today, so I can now officially say that I have.

I was told the test would start at 8 a.m., but we didn't begin until 8:25, which I'm guessing was because of late students. Also, I arrived at about 7:40, so needless to say I sat in anticipation to start for longer than I would have liked. The neat thing was that on a bulletin board in front of me contained a huge poster with the verse Philippians 4:13 written in huge letters--
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. It also contained a lot of other posters that read things such as "Rock the World For Jesus," "WWJD?" "So You Wanna Change the World? What Are You Waiting For?" and other ones. I wasn't expecting those in a public school....

I sat there and read that verse in Philippians over and over and basically meditated on it.

I
can...through Christ
I can
do....through Christ
I do can do
all...through Christ
I can do all things through Christ.
I can do all things
through Christ
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me!

"I can do this through Christ..." I thought. Notice it doesn't say, "I can do all things." But instead, "I can do all things through Christ." I can do anything with His help!

I am grateful for God's blessings and help on the test today. I know it was His grace that helped me and I am thankful He answered my prayer. I have studied since April for this test. I have asked for God's help and I did the best I could do today, so whatever my score is I shall be happy because I have done all I could do.

I have to say next to prayer, a huge help in being prepared for the test was taking practice exams from the A.C.T. For Dummies book I bought. They are formatted just like the real A.C.T. test that includes even answer documents so you can practice filling in the correct answer. I sat down in a quiet room, timed myself, and took the test for 4 hours straight just like the actual A.C.T. under similar conditions as the test itself. After time was up, I checked my answers and was able to see what I needed to improve on and such. I did this twice, and I can't stress what a tremendous help this was to me. I have learned so many tricks and techniques that I was easily able to sit down today and work on the test while keeping up with the short amount of time I had because I had practice doing so before hand. So if anyone reading this needs a good tip for the A.C.T., this was a big help to me!

I am sooo glad it's over! It feels like a huge weight has been lifted from my shoulders and now I can finally enjoy my summer. I am now anticipating to receive my scores. I give God the glory for helping me today and now that those dreaded four hours of my life are gone, I hope I will never have to do it again.

Thank you so much for all who prayed for me!


16 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey! Thanks for the comment..

Yeah, she didn't really like it. It's off for now, but we might end up putting it back on her because her paw still looks pretty bad. :)

The weather has cooled down some the past few days, but there is a wild-fire five or ten miles from here, so today was really smokey, etc, making it kind of hard to breathe and stuff. Dad and I had a very hard time.

I'm glad you were able to take your test--and that that book helped. It's good to know.

I really enjoyed reading this entry. It was very encouraging. I have to take my yearly SOL-type test next month and I'm dreading it.. I usually end up doing ok, except for in math. I'm not very good and the on-the-spot multiplication, etc.. I don't know my times tables as well as I should :(. But reading about the way you saw that verse helped me see it in a different light, too, and makes me feel more confident about this. Thanks :)

I'm glad you're back in the "blog world" too-- I've missed your great posts, and I'm looking foward to many more!

~Bethany

Anonymous said...

Hey Brooke!

I took the ACT today too (and am glad it's over with!). I took several practice tests before hand - that's definitely the way to go. I still wish I could do better at math though. The funny thing about the ACT is that it doesn't really test your education/knowledge. Rather, it tests how good you are at standardized directions/reasoning...I guess. The short time limits are ridiculous in my opinion, but oh well.

I also took the optional Writing Test.

Hope all is well with you!

~Amanda~

Anonymous said...

Congrats Brooke, I'm sure you did great. ;)

RYC: Thanks, I'm hoping we can do something about this issue. It really is a problem that can be fixed if we work at it and pray!

Download the media kit on the front page, there are some great resources in there.

Eric

PaulsBlogging.com said...

Ha, wow, sounds like you almost enjoyed it!
lol!

I, on the other hand, am terribly disappointed.
After all the studying and the extreme "nervousness" (:P) I get there only to be told "nope, sorry". That's right, I couldn't take the test.

I had only gotten 4 hours of sleep that night/morning so I was so tired that I forgot my wallet..... and my photo ID.
So, they wouldn't let me in the door. I was.... pretty mad actually. All that wasted time.....

Then, I find out the next ACT is in 6 months or something crazy like that. Which would set everything off. can't get into college on time, can't finish certain classes on time, and so on....

I was so ...shocked that I just sat down and prayed, ha, not sure what else to do. When I got home, I told Mom what happened and she had a brilliant idea! She wondered if there was another test that the college would accept (like the SAT or something) that I could take sooner than the next ACT. So I called around and found out that yes in fact, there was another test; something called the C.O.M.P.A.S.S. test!
It's a little harder than the ACT but I can still take it in time for college in the fall (like I had originally planned for!).

I guess God has everything under control. When am I going to learn that?

Thank you for your prayers!
It sounds like you did really well on your test!

God bless, Brooke!
-Paulie

Jeremy said...

Yay, your done! Good job!

note: you spelled quiet wrong.... :P

Joyce said...

"I have asked for God's help and I did the best I could do today, so whatever my score is I shall be happy because I have done all I could do."

Brooke, this phrase alone shows your maturity and dependency on God. I believe the Lord expects nothing more and nothing less than our best.

Now, enjoy the summer.
Love you

Anonymous said...

Hi Brooke ~ Congrats on finishing your test! I'm glad it went okay for you. Now you can enjoy your summer! :-)

I had to take both the SAT and ACT, and it was definitely a weird experience being in a public school setting. I remember being a bundle of nerves right before I had to take them, but the one thing that always calmed me was reading Psalm 20. I still have it marked in my Bible with the date 10/11/02 (the night before I took the SAT). Boy that was a long time ago!

Thank you for sharing your meditation thoughts on the Philippians verse. It's so true - we can't do anything on our own strength, only through Christ!

I'm having a contest at my blog this week you might be interested in. Be sure to stop by and check it out!

Blessings,
Amanda

Brianna said...

Hi Brooke! Arya recommended your blog to me, and I'm glad she did! :-)
Congrats on finishing the ACT! I took the SAT's this year...and I totally understand the "weight of the world lifted off your shoulders" feeling! :-) I'm sure you did great!!
Brianna

SuperAngel said...

Hey Brooke,
Congrats! That is so great that you finished. I am sure you did awesome!
I may take the ACT. I haven't really looked into it in my area yet though. But I have have already started homeschooling college, so I am going to see if I can fit it in!
Hope you have a Super day!
Hugs!
Love,
Amanda

SuperAngel said...

Oh and... you have a beautiful blog here! I meant to say that earlier, but you know! ;)

Love ya, girl!
Amanda

Anonymous said...

Dearest Brook,

My apologies for not commenting you back sooner. Life has been so busy and I just haven't found anytime to comment or even blog. I wrote about it on my blog...

I am so glad your ACT went well. I was praying for you! I have SAT next year and I'm dreading it already (I know I shouldn't be), although I'm sure I'll do fine.

Hope to hear from you soon!

-Miss Elizabeth

Anonymous said...

Hi Brooke!
It's so good to see you blogging again! I've missed you! :-)
Glad the ACT went well for you. It's no fun, but hopefully that's the only time you'll have to do it! I'm sure your score will be great. :-)
Hope you're having a great summer!
Love, Ashley

Anonymous said...

Hey Brooke~
I'm glad you passed your A.C.T. :)
I was kind of suprised too, when I saw 'religious' posters and stuff at my school. It comes has a shock after being told that all that stuff is banned.

Alycia

Anonymous said...

Hey Brooke!

This is Nate (christiananimallover)!

Sorry for not stopping by your new blog sooner!! I am glad you ACT went well! Tests are always nerve wracking ! It always feels good when it over. How are you doing?

I just took the SAT in June and boy I was nervous! I am still waiting for my scores but I am glad the SAT is over.

I hope you and your whole family are well! Have a great day!

Nathan

Anonymous said...

Wow praise the Lord! I'm so glad that you got through them. Can't wait to hear what your *excellent* score is! I know you'll do great. :)

I'm sorry I'm your 15th commenter.... I haven't had time on the pc since we got back and i had a load on my plate when I did! Love your new title!

It was so nice to meet you IRL! Love ya!

MJ

Miss Sarah Jean said...

Must be a relief to finaly have that over with! I just recently took the P.S.A.T. test and that was difficult. It prooved that I really need to study how to think and think fast in the classroom situation. Praise God that you were able to do it without too much trouble. Btw, you don't know me, but if you want to check out my site it's on that blogroll that Miss Jocelyn made (that's where I found you). I really enjoyed myself here and I love that poem you wrote. I love to be able to pour out my love to God through writing and it's wounderful that you can write so beautifuly.
I'll stop by again sometime, until then, God's Blessing and Grace be upon you in everything you do!!
~Mexican Redhead (Sarah)