Last week my sister and I enjoyed our first road trip. We stayed Sunday to Friday with our Great Aunt and Uncle in Auburn Alabama and had such a great time.
*The first day we arrived, Aunt Ruby Lee and Uncle Tony took us by the Auburn stadium and for a tour of the college---a place I never thought I'd see. It felt kind of weird to be in "their" territory since our family are huge Alabama fans, but it was still neat.
We look so tiny
Before dark Holly and I went walking around the neighborhood with Aunt Ruby Lee. I love taking walks so I enjoyed that. We were able to see the sun set and also get a good work-out :-)
*The second day we spent the day at their vacation home out on Lake Martin. Oh, it is gorgeous.
Aunt Ruby Lee and Uncle Tony took us on a boat ride not too long after we had arrived. We were able to see some well-known huge rock titled "Chimney Rock" (because one part of it is shaped like a chimney) where people enjoy diving and jumping off into the water. Uncle Tony said that on the weekends scores of boats line up around to witness people dive off the high stacks of rock. We actually got to see a young girl and guy jump off of it. It looked dangerous to me. Uncle Tony did say there had been tragic accidents and even death occur in result before. It was pretty interesting.
They then took us to a place near the water to see some eagle's nest. We didn't see any eagles but it was still neat.
We all went for a swim in the lake. The water was so clear and refreshing. Aunt Ruby Lee took Holly and I for a ride on the wave rider, which was really fun. I have never rode one before...
* The third day, I woke up at 6:00 a.m. and quietly tip-toed downstairs and out the back door without waking anyone up, and headed down to the dock. The water was so peaceful and the air so calm. The fog slowly brisked above the still waters. I could hear roosters faintly crowing in the the background while several fish jumped out of the water and a Blue Heron flew across the lake in front of me. I really enjoyed spending some special time with God as the sun slowly rose--just Him and me.
Later in the day Aunt Ruby Lee and Uncle Tony took us to the gym with them. They are very fit and go to the gym at least three times a week. It was huge and had tons of things to do. Holly and I worked out on some of the machines and walked a mile on their track upstairs. We sure got a workout!
*The forth day Aunt Ruby Lee took Holly and I shopping. Later we went to see a comedy, which was really long and pretty funny, except for some questionable humor. But besides that, it really was hilarious.
*The fifth day we went back to the lake house to spend the day at the lake.
We relaxed, swam, took a boat ride, read, tanned, went for a walk, etc. It was a lot of fun.
*Friday morning we said our goodbyes and headed home. Thankfully, God protected us to and from our destination and we didn't even get lost!!
So, we made it home and the kids were SO happy to see us.
Amber had been counting down the days :-)
So, after we greeted everyone, we threw our luggage in the trailer and a few hours later we were traveling back to Alabama to visit our Grandparents. It was great to see everyone and I really wish we could see them more often.
Saturday Holly and I had the privilege to have lunch with our good friend Jason. We met him at a Mexican restaurant and were able to chat a little while.
Sunday we visited our Great-Grandma Taylor and had a lovely time. Holly brought her violin and played a few hymns for her and Amber and Autumn sang. It amazes me because Grandma will be 90 years old this year and is so weak, but she can still praise the Lord. The music really touched her. Tears started flowing from her eyes and she started praising God with all her might. It was a precious sight.
We left home Sunday and finally unpacked our bags.
It was a full week but such a nice one. I am so glad we were able to stay with our Great Aunt and Uncle and visit everyone down in Birmingham. I love all my family dearly. I thank the Lord for watching over us and blessing us with such a great time with loved ones. I just hope it's not too long before we see everyone again!
10 comments:
Brooke,
Thank you for your welcome to blogland.....
This was such a great post. Sounds like you had a really great time. Visiting family is always special.I also liked your pictures.
Blessings,
Grandma Starr
Hey Brooke!
So glad you had an awesome time! Packing the Hummer and going on a road trip just sounds awesome! Although I would like to pack a new Mustang and go on a trip! I *love* those cars!
anyway, it was so great to meet y'all! Hopefully we can meet again soon! Maybe you can pack up the Hummer again and head this way! ;)
Love ya!
Amanda
http://superangelsblog.com
Hey Grandma! I miss you and spending time with family is so very special! HUGS!
Chimney Rock is a little small/short for my taste. It never really got my heart beating like some other things I've jumped off of. My personal favorite was the water tower, but I digress......
Glad you had fun at the lake and I hate I missed y'all at Nanny & Paw Paw's. Was I really sick last time too!
Tell Holly, we'll have to jam together next time...
Randy
Hey looks like you had a fun time! :-)
I didn't know that you had a blogspot blog! :-)
I hope that you're doing well!
Joy
Brooke,
I can't begin to tell you how much I enjoyed being with all of you. As usual, it just didn't last long enough. Hopefully it won't be six more months before we together again.
Love you lots,
Aunt Joyce
Hi Brooke ~ What a fun trip! Those photos are beautiful. It looks like a peaceful and relaxing vacation spot.
How sweet of your sister to make a countdown of your return! It's nice to be wanted, isn't it? :-)
Have a blessed day,
Amanda
hey brooke,
i found your blog a while back off of homeschoolblogger, missed your postings and then found you had a new blog off of blogsopt. i enjoyed seeing all the pictures your sister and you took for the feeling feminane challenge...very cute. i enjoy reading your blog!
a fellow homeschooler,
priscilla
Hello Brooke!!
I'm glad you had a good time with your family! :-) Lake Martin looks gorgeous. :-D I would love to live near the water; specifically, something more than a creek. *grin* A lake would be wonderful.
At one of the creeks near us, there's an old metal-and-wood bridge that is no longer used. Two of my friends have climbed under the bars and jumped off the ledge, which is something I refuse to do. Jumping and freefalling off rocks and bridges isn't really my idea of fun. :-) What you wrote about Chimney Rock reminded me of that.
Hugs,
Becca
Sounds like you had a lot of fun!!! I'm not sure if I would want to dive off that rock either!
You have a great day, and God Bless! ~Erica
Sounds like so much fun Brooke! I loved the pictures! I'm glad you got there and back safely!
Thanks for your comment!
Brianna
Post a Comment