My family and I went to go see the movie Fireproof last week and what a fantastic movie it was. I am thrilled to see such godly stories and messages projected onto the movie screen! If you haven't seen it I'd highly encourage you to go see it soon! It was very well done, God-glorifying and the movie's message greatly touched me. I think the movie portrayed many ideas but the one and that spoke to me most was what true love is all about.
True love is a subject the Lord has been teaching me this year. I've known the fact that love is much more than what most boyfriends and girlfriends have for each other these days but I don't think I have understood what it truly indicates for awhile now.
I really got to thinking about the true meaning of love after I read a novel earlier this year by Karen Kingsbury. It's rare that I read fiction but I happened one day to spot it sitting in our bookcase and I had to finish it after reading the first few pages. The story was about a godly woman's husband caught up in an affair. Biblically, Katherine (the main character), had the right to leave her husband because of his adultery, but instead she was determined with God's help to restore their marriage because of the commitment she made to him many years ago at the altar. She realized the seriousness of the marriage covenant when she had promised to love her husband no matter what happened. She didn't have to seek restoration but she wanted to. It was a beautiful and powerful story of forgiveness, love and redemption. It demonstrated the kind of love the Lord would desire us to have to one another and it really left an impression on me.
It was so refreshing to see the same message in Fireproof. It greatly touched me because the concept of true love is so rare today. It is one thing many of us lack and I do believe if couples knew the price of it before they married many divorces could be avoided.
The world has a very shallow definition of love. Romantic love between a man and woman is the only form that most are acquainted with. We have been greatly deceived by this unrealistic interpretation through the movies, television and songs around us. But instead reality and common sense reveal that couples who love each other don't always feel ooey gooey about the other person! Sadly, most people don't know love any other way because the world's ideas is all they've ever known and experienced. And once those "lovey-dovey" feelings leave, they automatically assume that love must not be there anymore.
Many of us commonly use the word "love" flippantly these days. We hear dating couples repeatibly throw the words "I love you" around without seriousness or commitment. "I'm in love" and "we've fallen in love" are popular declarations. Everyone frequently and casually uses the word in exclaiming such things as, "I love going to the beach," or "I just love pizza!" Perhaps this is the same attitude we have many times in how we treat other people. Why do we "love" pizza? Because it satisfies our cravings. In the same way we usually love others only because that persons pleases us, makes us happy, and benefits us in some way. Do we really have any idea of the actual meaning and price of this four letter word?
Let it be known that the world has no idea what love really is. They absolutely have not a clue. Because it is equated frequently with romantic feelings it's no wonder marriages one by one are breaking apart at rapid speed. Marriages cannot be built upon feelings and fairy-tale butterflies. If they are they will not survive through the storms. And difficulties will come. No marriage is promised romantic bliss throughout the entire covenant.
This is what real love is:
Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. Love never fails.
—I Corinthians 13:4-8a (NIV)
The Word of God is the only way we can identify true love and 1 Corinthians 13:4-8a is the ultimate test. I think we as Christians have read this verse so many times that we've lost the meaning of it. But these are the characteristics of what real, genuine love actually looks like. These qualities are clearly portrayed in God and in our Lord. I really like what John Coblentz said:
"Contrary to popular thought, one does not "fall in" love. One can easily enough fall head over heels into lovely-dovey feelings. One can fall into sexual sin. But the love that holds marriages together through years of good and bad times is cultivated through wise choices and faithfulness to one's commitments. God not only tells us what love is like, but He also has shown the meaning of love by the way He relates to us. He is committed to our good even through great personal sacrifice. He is faithful. He is patient and kind. He shows us respect even when we do not deserve it. He stays true to His standards and true to His commitments to us even we fail Him. God's own example defines love for us and shows us how we are love in the covenant relationship of marriage."
God is the ultimate example of sincere love! The Bible tells us that He IS love! (1 Jh 4:7) The way that God shows love towards you and I is how He wants us to love other people.
Biblical love is:
-The act of one person seeking the good of another
-Unselfish concern for another's welfare
-Sacrificing for the good of another
-Selfless giving without anything in return
It is:
-Patient
-Kind
-Does not envy
-Does not boast
-Not proud
-Not rude
-Not self-seeking
-Not easily angered
-Keeps no records of wrongs
-Does not delight in evil but in truth
-Always protects
-Always trusts
-Always hopes
-Always preserves
-It never fails
God has shown and continues to show all of this to us even though we don't deserve any it. That is TRUE love!
Knowing what true love is I would now like to briefly dispel the world's lies by examining what true love is NOT.
True love is not selfish. It is almost impossible to genuinely love someone when you are self-centered. True devotion will always lead to action for what's best for the other person and you can't do that if you are being selfish. At the beginning of the movie Fireproof, Caleb and and his wife were very self-centered people and that's a great reason why they were having so many problems. True love is not selfish.
Premarital sex is not true love! Our culture teaches that love and sex should go hand in hand but this is a deceptive lie. Sex is only allowed by God within the covenant of marriage. Outside of marriage it is not only a sin but it is purely selfish. It breaks my heart to hear of couples committing fornication in the name of "because we love each other!" It's far from true care and devotion. Premartial sex is not patient, it is not kind, it does not protect and it is selfish. It is not love!
True love is not a feeling. It is very grievous because love today is considered primarily an emotion. "I love you because I feel love towards you and when I no longer feel that I don't love you anymore." It's a weak foundation which doesn't endure. Do you think Jesus felt like dying on the cross for us? No, He loved us so much that he chose to do so. Although real love can be and is often accompanied by strong feelings, love cannot be based exclusively on how we feel. It is not entirely an emotion; No, it's not void of feeling but it is not lead by it either. Rather it is an action or a deliberate choice. You choose whether you want to love or not show love to someone. Jesus CHOSE to die in our place. When couples say, "I don't love him/her anymore. We fell out of love with one another..." in reality they made that choice to stop loving and it was most likely never really love in the first place.
Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. Love never fails.
—I Corinthians 13:4-8a (NIV)
The Word of God is the only way we can identify true love and 1 Corinthians 13:4-8a is the ultimate test. I think we as Christians have read this verse so many times that we've lost the meaning of it. But these are the characteristics of what real, genuine love actually looks like. These qualities are clearly portrayed in God and in our Lord. I really like what John Coblentz said:
"Contrary to popular thought, one does not "fall in" love. One can easily enough fall head over heels into lovely-dovey feelings. One can fall into sexual sin. But the love that holds marriages together through years of good and bad times is cultivated through wise choices and faithfulness to one's commitments. God not only tells us what love is like, but He also has shown the meaning of love by the way He relates to us. He is committed to our good even through great personal sacrifice. He is faithful. He is patient and kind. He shows us respect even when we do not deserve it. He stays true to His standards and true to His commitments to us even we fail Him. God's own example defines love for us and shows us how we are love in the covenant relationship of marriage."
God is the ultimate example of sincere love! The Bible tells us that He IS love! (1 Jh 4:7) The way that God shows love towards you and I is how He wants us to love other people.
Biblical love is:
-The act of one person seeking the good of another
-Unselfish concern for another's welfare
-Sacrificing for the good of another
-Selfless giving without anything in return
It is:
-Patient
-Kind
-Does not envy
-Does not boast
-Not proud
-Not rude
-Not self-seeking
-Not easily angered
-Keeps no records of wrongs
-Does not delight in evil but in truth
-Always protects
-Always trusts
-Always hopes
-Always preserves
-It never fails
God has shown and continues to show all of this to us even though we don't deserve any it. That is TRUE love!
Knowing what true love is I would now like to briefly dispel the world's lies by examining what true love is NOT.
True love is not selfish. It is almost impossible to genuinely love someone when you are self-centered. True devotion will always lead to action for what's best for the other person and you can't do that if you are being selfish. At the beginning of the movie Fireproof, Caleb and and his wife were very self-centered people and that's a great reason why they were having so many problems. True love is not selfish.
Premarital sex is not true love! Our culture teaches that love and sex should go hand in hand but this is a deceptive lie. Sex is only allowed by God within the covenant of marriage. Outside of marriage it is not only a sin but it is purely selfish. It breaks my heart to hear of couples committing fornication in the name of "because we love each other!" It's far from true care and devotion. Premartial sex is not patient, it is not kind, it does not protect and it is selfish. It is not love!
True love is not a feeling. It is very grievous because love today is considered primarily an emotion. "I love you because I feel love towards you and when I no longer feel that I don't love you anymore." It's a weak foundation which doesn't endure. Do you think Jesus felt like dying on the cross for us? No, He loved us so much that he chose to do so. Although real love can be and is often accompanied by strong feelings, love cannot be based exclusively on how we feel. It is not entirely an emotion; No, it's not void of feeling but it is not lead by it either. Rather it is an action or a deliberate choice. You choose whether you want to love or not show love to someone. Jesus CHOSE to die in our place. When couples say, "I don't love him/her anymore. We fell out of love with one another..." in reality they made that choice to stop loving and it was most likely never really love in the first place.
The feelings obvious weren't involved when Caleb first starting showing kindness to his wife in Fireproof. She was cold, unresponsive and showed no feelings of affection back towards his caring gestures. But he didn't give up and instead continued showing her unselfish love even when she didn't deserve it. That's what Biblical love really boils down to: it is loving the person even when they don't deserve it. It means giving without anything in return.
This is exactly what Christ did for us. Do we deserve his gift of salvation? Of course not! Did Jesus deserve to die? Absolutely not! But Jesus truly loved us and suffered so we could be reconciled with God. Jesus didn't need the cross but we did and because of that He died for us. That is Biblical love. I don't think I'll or anyone else will ever truly understand the cost and debt of that kind of love.
In a marriage or any relationship there will be bumps in the road but it is the choices that get you through not the feelings. This is the foundation that solid marriages and relationships are built upon. It's not easy but it is much more sacred and long lasting that romantic feelings will ever be. It is the kind of love that God has portrayed and continues to give us and that we need to share with other people.
Is it hard? Yes, it is. It certainly doesn't come naturally. The Bible tells us to love our enemies! Do you think that's a part of our nature to do so? Certainly not. And if we were to wait until we "felt" like loving the people we don't really care for do you think it would ever happen? But since we are children of God, loving others (whether that'll be our spouse, future spouse, family, friends, strangers or enemies) is what God has called us to do. We are to love as He loved. Aren't you so thankful for that kind of love that God faithfully shows toward us? I sure am!
Conclusion:
Let me end by sharing a quote by Harriett Sun:
Only after experiencing and knowing the unconditional love that God has for us, the love that drove God to send his Son to die for us on earth, can we begin to love others with the same quality of unconditional love.
We can only genuinely love by God's example and with His help. It is my prayer that as we experience the love God continues to give to us that we will desire to give it out to others. It is the only kind of love that lasts and survives through the highs and the lows. May we be persistent to choose to love others as God is so faithful to do to us.
- Extra note:
Test your relationships and take the "Is it really love?" test:
Ask yourself these questions:
▪ Are you patient with each other?
▪ Are you kind to each other?
▪ Are you never envious of each other?
▪ Do you never boast about yourself?
▪ Is your relationship characterized by humility?
▪ Are you never rude to each other?
▪ Are you not self-seeking?
▪ Are you not easily angered with each other?
▪ Do you keep no record of wrongs?
▪ Are you truthful with each other?
▪ Do you protect each other?
▪ Do you trust each other?
▪ Are you patient with each other?
▪ Are you kind to each other?
▪ Are you never envious of each other?
▪ Do you never boast about yourself?
▪ Is your relationship characterized by humility?
▪ Are you never rude to each other?
▪ Are you not self-seeking?
▪ Are you not easily angered with each other?
▪ Do you keep no record of wrongs?
▪ Are you truthful with each other?
▪ Do you protect each other?
▪ Do you trust each other?
11 comments:
Love is a CHOICE!
I heard it simply put one time.
"Jesus did not fall out of heaven and into love with us. He chose to love us!"
We must follow His model and choose to be patient, kind, humble, and rejoice in Truth.
Great post. I am looking forward to seeing the movie. I sent your sister an email that I am going to forward you, so be looking for it.
AMEN!!!!!! I have never seen such a wonderful post on this subject! It brings me near tears to see how this world treats "love" as they call it. You're are Sooooo right, that's not love! I have recently been forming some very strong opinions about dating and guy/girl relationships, God used one particular book to open my eyes. It's called "The Challenge". If you would be interested in reading it I could send you the info and mailing adress of the writer. She never formally "published" the book, merely printed it. It is a wonderful, biblical look at dating. the most wonderful thing about this book was that, when I finished, I felt the overwhelming need to go to my knees. Very few books (besides the Bible) do that to me. Thank you again, your post was a great encouragement. I love hearing people who have the same feelings as I do on this subject, and how wonderfully you expressed them, Glory to God!!!!
I will buy that movie next time I go to the US on furlough. I'm already so excited that I can hardly wait!! Anyway, I hope and pray that you have a blessed day!
From your sis in Christ~
Great post! So true!
-Kade
Hi Brooke,
Great post!
Thanks for stopping by our blog we appreciate your comments!
come back anytime! (:
~Have a great weekend!
Dearest Brook~
Thank you so much for touching my heart. God has also been teaching me things on this subject and with reading your post I felt so encouraged. You did an excellent job with this subject. It is so sad seeing how this world treats true love. I actually haven't been able to see Fireproof yet but I really want to. I might have to wait till it comes out on DVD but I hope not. Also, that Karen Kingsbury book you mentioned is really good. I read over the summer and loved it. I think I've read most of her books and they are all super good. You would probably like them too.
RYC: Yes, I do wear skirts instead of pants. My parents believe that is how ladies should dress. But my parents do give the girls the freedom to decide if they want to wear only skirts or both pants and skirts when they think each of us are mature enough to make that decision. I have reached that stage but I prefer skirts over pants. But I do wear pants when I play sports or stuff like that. Glad you liked my outfits!
Hope you have blessed weekend!
Elizabeth~
Hey brooke,
have fun on your vacation!
-Jeremy
Brooke,
What a GREAT post, thank you so much. It sounds like you have been thinking and seeking a lot on this subject. Thanks again.. it was really thought-provoking.
To answer your comment - no, my class wasn't taught by the same teacher. I'm glad you're enjoying your class. Mine ended on Friday and it was great!
Yes, I am taking my college classes online (correspondence). For each class, we usually have reading assignments from a textbook, and often video lectures to watch. Depending on the class, a lot of times I have to write papers and send them in, and some require the students to participate in an online discussion board on a specific topic, and receive extra points based on their participation.
I like their program a lot and definitely recommend it! :-)
Btw, I haven't seen Fireproof yet but I'm looking forward to it. Sounds like you guys enjoyed it!
Have a great week!
Love, Ashley
I agree with you Brooke, and FIREPROOF is a must see for married and young adults! I was so happy to see that it was a good wholesome film as all the Sherwood films have turned out to be!
Great article Brooke! I cannot say enough about Fireproof! I so want to see it again! :)
Thanks for commenting on my pictures. I think a lot of people liked it curly! :P
HUGS!
Love,
Amanda
http://superangelsblog.com
Fireproof was amazing! I really enjoyed seeing it. It was so neat to see how it stayed in the Top 10 Box office for a couple weeks and how the book is one of Amazon's best sellers! That is really awesome!
Good post!
-Jordan
P.S. I'd love to see your pictures on that blog, but I'd understand if you don't want me too since we haven't met in person.....yet:-) Maybe I will see y'all next year at the Wilds. Jeremy and Emily raved about it and it sounded neat!
Hi Brooke. I'm Ashley's mom (pinkflamingo). She sent the link to your post in her devotional this month. You are a very wise young lady~beyond your years~and you will be saving yourself a lot of heartache by knowing these principles and learning to live by them now.
Your writing was also clear, well done, straight to the truth, yet encouraging. I pray God blesses you as you continue to share His love and Word with others.
Letitia
www.homeschoolblogger.com/SandBetweenMyToes/
Post a Comment