“Write down the thoughts of the moment. Those that come unsought for are commonly the most valuable.”

- Francis Bacon

Monday, November 17, 2008

Take a Walk


What do you do when you're angry, stressed or down in the dumps? I usually go for a walk. I immensely enjoy to occasionally take a stroll no matter what my mood may be. I find it relaxing and a good time to breathe and think. I love meandering down an old dirt road, hiking through the woods, or walking along the ocean's shore. I not only appreciate the exercise but it's also rejuvenating. Perhaps sometimes even romantic. Hiking, exercising or having a long conversation with a friend: I love all the aspects of taking a walk.

Going for a walk is also a lovely time to commune with God. There's been many times I've taken a walk to this certain spot on our property to dispel my heavy heart to the Lord. I'm so glad that God doesn't get tired of hearing from me. He's the only one I can count on to truly listen to my burdens and truly care about them. Not only does He listen but He's the only one that can actually fix them as well. It always makes me feel better.


I encourage you to take a break sometime from the busyness of life and go for a stroll. Talk to the Lord, take a breath of fresh air, and enjoy God's creation around you. You'd be surprised how much better you'll feel afterward.



http://www.cobblestonechurch.com/images/path.jpg

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

I must say I agree!!

Clara said...

I have little ones and don't often get a chance to go for a walk to 'get away from it all', but I find it extremely relaxing and stimulating to get out in the garden... Rather than talking to the plants, I can take the time to think or talk with God :)

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful photo! You're right - we all need time to just get away from things to renew our perspective and talk to God. Taking a walk is a great way to do that!

Holly said...

We have so much in common, dear sister :)

I have found that taking a walk is almost therapeutic! There have been times, when I too decided to take a stroll around the property when I was feeling tense, and I felt (somewhat) better afterwords.

And you're right, it's a good time to commune with God too. Like Matthew 6:6 says, "When thou prayest, enter into thy closet...to pray to thy Father which is in secret." It's almost like the same thing when one goes outside to be alone with the Lord... where there are no distractions, and you can empty your heart openly to Him- but at the same time privately.

love u.
-Holly

Jacque Dixon said...

Beautiful. Very true words. I agree with you and your sister. I need to get out more alone on walks and with my children. There is also something inspiring about being out in nature with others too, enjoying God's creation. [I guess there is something inspiring about doing anything with your children, reflecting on the LORD, isn't there?]
((HUGS))
Mrs. Dixon

Anonymous said...

I agree, walks can be very therapurtic. There are some train tracks out behind campus that I frequent. I find going on a walk really helps me to quiet my mind and be able to talk to God. He has used some of those times to really speak to me.

Anyway, howdy again. I hope all is going well with you and Holly, and the rest of the family.

Anonymous said...

I do enjoy a walk in the summer. Right now in this area it would be more like a run! (To stay warm)

;)

Heather

SuperAngel said...

so true! I have to go off by myself too and going off for a walk is a wonderful way to vent and cool off with God right there with you!
Great thoughts!
I featured you in this week's Feelin' Feminine Super Simple Spiritul Sunday links: http://feelinfeminine.com/?p=653 :)
Love,
Amanda
http://superangelsblog.com

Anonymous said...

I totally agree! We have a small prairie preserve very close to my home. I feel so much better when I take at least a few minutes out of my busy schedule to walk and think. We all need a time of renewal every day!

Anonymous said...

Dearest Brook ~

I agree with you so much. Taking a walk helps me vent my anger or sometimes just spend time alone with God without anyone around. And that's a hard thing to do around here, but 10 acres is nice for that kind of stuff :)

Hope you are doing well my dear friend! May the Lord bless your day!

~Elizabeth

Joyce said...

I wasn just wondering, if we kept up with it, how many miles we would log if we walked everytime we got angry...????
Better to walk than to talk.
Sounds like a good motto.

Brooke said...

Oooh, I like that! Great one, Aunt Joyce. Especially a good motto to keep in mind in the midst of building anger!

Whoo, if we did keep it up we would have walked more than a marathon!