Sunday was very neat.
We walked into church to a different atmosphere than the norm. The blinds to the windows were opened and in each sat a kerosene lamp. The pulpit looked a little different and everyone was dressed in old fashioned attire. I don't think I've ever seen so many ladies wearing bonnets! Each woman wore a dress to her ankles with a matching apron while the guys were dressed in old suits or overalls. I truly felt like I was in a different time period. Afterwards we met downstairs for a huge feast like the Pilgrims gathering for celebration.
Some of us stayed at church all day in our old fashioned attire. Like every Sunday we went to the nursing home where we gave a short church service for the elderly there. When we returned to church we had a special time of testimonies and thanksgiving. The part I enjoyed most, however, was the evening service. We turned out all the electrical lights and had our evening service by kerosene lamp. It really felt like the old days then :)
So that was a brief summery our church's "old fashioned Sunday" event. It was great fun and I really enjoyed being able to wear my "pilgrim" dress all day. I, however, just don't know how the ladies managed wearing them 24/7 in the good old days. It amazes me that they wore those thick and long dresses out in the fields, in the hot sun, and while doing everyday chores. It really beats me how they did it.
Thanksgiving is tomorrow. Noticed I said "Thanksgiving" and not "Christmas." You want to know what bugs me? I find it ridiculous to walk into Wal-Mart with Christmas trees and decorations flooding the aisle when Thanksgiving is next and far down the calendar (they began this absurdity in October.) It's like they have forgotten or skipped Thanksgiving all together! My sister and a friend and I were at the mall last week and what did we hear? Christmas music. Jingle Bells and more Christmas tunes ringing from the roof tops. Not to mention Christmas lights and Christmas trees and whatnot. Come on people, can't you wait?!
Before you think me a Scrooge please know that I will be more than happy to start thinking about Christmas after Thanksgiving. But until then I think we should take one holiday at a time. People just get too hasty, don't they?
I'm looking forward to being with family tomorrow and eating all the delicious food. I am so very thankful for life. I couldn't be more thankful for God and my family. I'm so blessed!
I hope all of you have a wonderful Thanksgiving! Don't forget to thank the Lord for all His grace. God bless :)

9 comments:
Hi Brooke!
I totally agree with what you said about people rushing Christmas. I have felt the same way!!
I'm sorry - I have neglected (and honestly, forgotten) to send you my email address like you asked so I can get you a copy of the devotional. I just tried to send it to you in a private message on HSB but it told me your inbox was full. So if you want to delete a message or two... :-)
I hope you and your family have a wonderful Thanksgiving!
Ashley
I so agree with you on the Christmas thing..lol..seems like stores put it out way to early every year there so in a rush!! Happy Thanksgiving!!
That sounds like so much fun!! Sadly my church didn't do anything like that although I would have loved it! I love having a dim house with candles lit. I was able to have mom allow it for a few hours on Thanksgiving :)
RYC: For college, I'm really interested in going to Tennessee Temple University and majoring in deaf studies. The great thing is that I could commute there and live a a Christian family we know down there. They are only 5 min. from it! Although mom would would like it if I stayed home and did it online from Temple. But the deaf studies online are so limited. So I'm not totally sure yet :) Even though I'm starting college in 1.5 year. Nathan my brother starts in the fall. He plans on going to Liberty Univ.
How about you? Are you doing online or something for college?
Hope you have a blessed Thanksgiving!
-Elizabeth
Hello Brooke!
We had a terrific Thanksgiving! I hope yours was great as well.
I'd be happy to send you the recipe! I'll have to dig it up... not sure where it went!
Mama ordered Third Day's newest CD on from Lifeway... I'm hoping it will arrive soon! She also ordered "Facing the Giants", (Love that movie!), and Casting Crowns' Christmas CD.
Yes, your blog is a huge encouragment to me! ☺
I know! They completely skip Thanksgiving. I'm really, really into decorating and listening to Christmas music, buying gifts for people, and all of those Christmas traditions. But Thanksgiving is important, and to just skip it is wrong. Put up Christmas decorations after Thanksgiving! ☺
Oh, I was wondering: I'd like to send out Christmas cards this year, and a few girls from Daughters have agreed. Would it be okay with your parents if you e-mailed me your address, so I can send you a card too? If it's not okay, or you don't want to, I completely understand, but I wanted to ask. ☺ You have my e-mail address, right?
Hugs,
Becca
What a neat idea I've never seen a church that did that. I share in your wonder, I have no idea how those women would have been able to wear those dresses all the time. I mean, I love dresses, but all the time in a dress that was like 3-4 layers thick. Sheesh!
I know what you mean. This world is trying to twist everything. I suppose they just figure that Thanksgiving is such a Christian holiday that it would be safer just to skip it rather than change it. Sad what our world is coming to. If it wasn't prophesied in the Bible I might be scared out of my whits by now. But I know that God has control. Now and always!!
Thank you for your wonderful post and also for the one before this one. I tried to leave a comment on that one the other day, but my computer errored and shut the page and then I didn't have time anymore.
Hey Brooke,
It has been awhile since I have been on your blog. I missed reading all the writings you have wrote.
The Old fashioned Thanksgiving sounds really interesting. That had be one of your better Thanksgivings. That is such a good idea. It must of felt really good to feel the like the old days.
Believe me I know about that whole Christmas before Thanksgiving Idea. It is crazy!! I love Christmas but the store I work at Polo Ralph Lauren played Christmas music a whole month before Thanksgiving. I could not believe it. They said supposedly that It helped "sales"
MY cat wants to play! Gotta go!
I remember old fashioned Sunday. It was great!
I heard you guys had about 30 people on a wednesday recently. That's cool!
Well, Happy Thanksgiving!
I've been thinking about you, sweetie. Hope you're doing well. ((HUGS))
Hey Brooke!
I am loving JA books! My favorites are Persuasion and Mansfield Park! :)
Thanks for telling me what you think of my new design! I am really happy with it! :)
That sounds like a great sunday! I bet it was fun!
Love ya!
Amanda
The Daily Planet
Post a Comment