“Write down the thoughts of the moment. Those that come unsought for are commonly the most valuable.”

- Francis Bacon

Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Bee Stings and Other Things

I was in the dining room innocently listening to a CD when I felt something bite my foot. I brushed it off and realized a yellow jacket had stung me. And in the dining room out of all places? Anyway, I pulled out the stinger, which still resided in my foot, and all I knew then and there was: I was in pain!!

It's neat, because I have been reading through a book on home remedies and I had just finished a section about what do incase you get stung. I read several tips but all I could remember in the time of pain was the suggestion to use baking soda. So I ran into the kitchen and hastily pulled down the baking soda and created it into a paste and guess what? It worked! The pain and throbbing quickly went down greatly. It would have been pretty painful otherwise. It didn't stop it from swelling though (it swelled pretty bad--twice its size), but I was thankful to have had this tip in time of need!

Just incase you're ever stung and would like some quick pain relievers, here's some interesting tips:

-Aspirin. "One of the simplest, most effective things you can do is to apply aspirin. Moisten the sting, then rub an aspirin tablet unto it. The aspirin neutralizes certain inflammatory agents in the venom. This treatment should not be attempted by those who are allergic or sensitive to aspirin, however."

-Baking Soda. "Apply by making a paste with baking soda and water."

-Meat Tenderizer. "An enzyme-based meat tenderizer breaks down the proteins that make up insect venom. You have to use it right away to make it effective." (We use this along with vinegar for jelly fish stings during beach vacation, and it really works!)

-Mud. "If you don't have anything else handy, you can mix a little clay soil and water into a mud paste and apply it to the sting. Cover with a bandage or handkerchief, and leave it on until the mud dries." (I wish I knew this when I got stung hiking a few weeks ago!)







I spent about two hours in the library last week and had a real enjoyable time looking through many books and finding several interesting ones to read and study. I been reading though several of them, including a couple on the subject of Stem Cell Research.


Mom, Holly and I started the Bible study at our church yesterday entitled, "Created In His Imagine." I am so excited about it!!! We already have daily homework to do and weekly Scripture to memorize. I am thankful for all God has allowed to help grow us in our walk with Him.

Thank you for all your comments. I am a little behind in replying, but please know I will be replying soon!

God bless,
~~Brooke




9 comments:

Miss Rachel said...

Hello there Miss Brooke -
Thank you for the comment, it was nice to get it. :) Yes, I will be busy, and that is good! Spanish this year, and I'll be working on my handwriting. It's horrible... really. :( But I hope that will soon change! I don't think I will be overwhelmed, tho. Mom wants us to get it done, but even she has to take a break some time, you know. I won't be too overwhelmed.

Besides, I like doing school as a family. :) I love doing it! Reading, history, writing, and art are my favourite subjects. Math, er, I wasn't born to be a mathamagician that for sure!

Hope you have a wonderful and blessed day, and may you be in the Palm of His Hand. :) God Bless you!
Love,
Rachel

http://dixonhomestead.com/rachel

Matthew 5:14 Ye are the light of the world. A city that is set on an hill cannot be hid.
Philippians 4:13 "You can do all things through CHRIST who strengthens you!"

Jordan Bethany said...

Ouch, I hope the pain is all gone now. That is wierd that you got stung in the dining room.

That is really neat about your Bible Study. I hope it goes really well!

God bless,
Jordan

Rebecca said...

Hi! Sorry to hear about your yellow jacket sting! That is one thing I do NOT miss about living in Oregon! Putting baking soda on it is one of the best things you can do. This time of year, yellow jackets eat "gross stuff" (like rotten fruit and dead animals). Their stings can get infected pretty easily. If on Friday your sting is hot, hard and your foot is swollen like a melon, it's infected.

I'm not a big "run to the doctor" person, and with 6 kids, we had several yellow-jacket stings per season, so here's how we treated a badly infected sting: I use goldenseal root powder (it's a blood purifier and I've never found anything that worked as well) but you can also use regular salt. First you stab the sting with a sterilized needle as close to the actual sting entry as possible as deep as you can stand (Yes, it hurts. Sorry.). Immediately submerge the sting in water as hot as you can stand it, to which has been added salt and/or goldenseal powder. Water should be very salty (like 1/2 cup to a gallon), but you'll only need 1/2 tsp of goldenseal for a gallon of water. Soak for about 30 minutes and repeat every couple of hours (the soaking, not the stabbing! ;^) )

The swelling should go down within a few hours. If it's unchanged in 24 hours, do it again. (But I've never had to stab a sting twice...no matter how bad the infection.)

I pray that the swelling is completely gone by the end of today and that you can ignore everything I just typed!

Have a blessed day! I'm enjoying reading around your blog!

Jeremy said...

lol. You and bee stings...........


-Jeremy

Holly said...

LOL! Hey Brooke, at least is wasn't a spider!!!

You knew that was coming....

Love you!!!

Holly

Kade said...

Cool blog. Like your music!
~Kade

Anonymous said...

Hello Brooke -
This is Rachel. Please check out the link I am using to link myself, and see if you'd like to read the book with us.:) We will be starting our next book tomorrow. Sorry this is such short notice. :)

We will be reading Enoch Roden's Training by Hesba Stretton. There is a post up at the Club if you want to sign the linky to join us. Posting about it on your blog would be a great way to let others know about the book we are reading and ask them to join us!

Hope to see your name on the Linky!
For the HSB Lit Club,
Rachel

Anonymous said...

YIKES! I've managed, thankfully, to never get stung..and I'm 17! A rare thing. :) Enjoy your books! I'm starting school finally tomorrow.. I'm pretty excited about it. Senior year! Yikes!

Anonymous said...

Oh oww! A few years ago a yellow jacket wouldn't leave me alone and put his stinger right into the middle of my big and second toes. OWWWWWW It burned for days. I had to constantly keep my foot in hot water or under a hot pad. We put baking soda and muster paste on it when it happened, though it didn't help for long. I don't know why it hurt so bad. I guess he was just really mean! LOL

I hope yours doesn't hurt that long. Thanks for the remedy tips!

Love
MJ