As I pack away my Bright Lights material tonight, my heart overflows with joy and gratitude of all that God has done. I can't help but smile. I did it...with Him. With God's help I started a group that I have always prayed about and now it is finished. I finally got to discipline young ladies and teach them the truths of God's Word! Oh Praise You Lord! I was so uncertain at first but God has blessed. Indeed God doesn't call us to do anything that He won't help us with. And oh, I could have never done this without His help. There's certain things that are totally out of my power, like the working and changing in the girl's lives. That's the Holy Spirit's job. And there's other things that I rely on Him for, such as the boldness and words to speak for each lesson. It's so easy, though, to occasionally assume I can do the little things---or at least something---without His help. Yet the Bible says, "without me, ye can do nothing."
There's been many times I have sat in front of my laptop ready to write but my mind remained terribly blank--the one thing I thought I was capable of accomplishing myself. I've had to call on the Lord many times for inspiration and He's showered me with ideas and thoughts that I would have never thought of. He's the one who has wrote the lessons, not I.
From what I've learned from leading Bright Lights, the thing that stands out the most would be learning to have a greater dependency on God. This has strengthened my faith and relationship with Him as I've had to seek Him many times to help me. How foolish I am to think I can handle things on my own. When I rely on myself all is fruitless. Leading this group has helped me to see how much I need Him for the big and small things.
Prayer. Oh, how important it is. This has become more real to me over the past few months. You see, prayer has not only been the preparation for the ministry; it is the ministry. A work done for God is only as powerful as it has been soaked with prayer. Every week of Bible study God has answered prayer, and in the process He has grown my faith in the true effectiveness of it.
God is so gracious for each girl He has sent my way and I am so thankful for the opportunity He gave me to be apart of their lives. I love them all so much and they are all so special in their own way. I do pray that the things that they learned will be used in their life and that God will continue to grow them to be strong and godly young ladies for the glory of Him. May I never forget the things He has taught me too, and I pray I will always choose to put my dependency and strength in Him in whatever I do.
3 comments:
how awesome! :) That is so neat you're doing Bright Lights! I just finished reading Before You Meet Prince Charming. Great book!
Sure do miss you! hope you're doing well.
Love you, Girl!
Amanda
The Daily Planet
I'm guessing Bright Lights is like a Sunday school or something?
That's awesome right there. Keep on.
kade
Brooke, what an amazing opportunity!! I'm so excited that you got to lead a girls' Bible study. That's something I think I might like to do down the road, too.. we'll see. But I'm so glad it went great and that you and the girls both learned and grew. Thank you for sharing your reflections, and esp the reminder that it all has to be "soaked in prayer."
I'm getting ready to go work a week as a camp counselor next month where I'll be working with middle school age girls.. it's always interesting :-) but definitely an opportunity and something that needs to be soaked in prayer.
God bless! I hope your summer is going great!
Love, Ashley
Post a Comment