“Write down the thoughts of the moment. Those that come unsought for are commonly the most valuable.”
- Francis Bacon
Sunday, June 14, 2009
Simple Exercise That Will Change Everything
In every thing give thanks: for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you. 1 Thessalonians 5:18
I have been striving lately to apply 1 Thess. 5:18 to my life and in doing so I have found it does wonders.
My sister and I went to an amusement park with a group of friends and the most aggrivating thing occurred. I put my cell-phone in my pocket before the ride (like I have done a million times before) and when I hopped off the coaster I checked my pocket and my phone was not there. I was so upset. The absence of my cell-phone was not what essentially bothered me (since it can be replaced) but the fact that all my contacts, numbers, notes, and pictures were forever gone.
I couldn't get the senario out of my head when it first happened. My information was lost and my phone probably in a million pieces. How could I be cheerful and enjoy the park again? At that point I had a choice to make. Either I could dwell on my regrets and ruin my whole day, or I could be thankful.
Be thankful?? Yes, when I finally took the time to dwell on what I was thankful for in the situation I realized there were many things.
First, I was thankful that my cell-phone had fallen out of my pocket and not the money and credit card that resided in the opposite one. Between the two I would have definitely given up my cell, so I was very grateful for that.
Second, I was grateful I had some of my numbers written down so not all of them were completely gone.
Third, I was thankful I had a spare phone at home (even though it's not so great) which I could transfer my number immediately incase anyone called.
When I thought about it, I realized the situation wasn't as bad as it seemed. Dwelling on the good instead of the unfavorable changed my whole perspective around. I knew according to 1 Thessalonians 5:18 that God has a reason for what occurred and I was to give thanks anyway. Because I did, I was able to enjoy the rest of the day and have a blast with my friends even though I was cell-phone absent.
If only I could remember and apply this to all parts of my life! It makes me wonder that if I can't apply this to the small areas, how will I respond when trials come my way? Will I be able to give thanks (1 Thess. 5:18) or count it all joy (James 1:2)? I need to make the practice of giving thanks in the disappointing things a natural part of my life. I know it would be so much better if I do.
*Note: I recommend an excellent book that focuses on this verse: A Thankful Heart by Carole Lewis. It will change your life.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
You know, I have a similar experience: I lost my phone to the the ride, and I was also upset. But God uses everything for good, and the week after the trip to the park we went to, my phone was sent back to me... and It still worked!
It was a little banged up, but hey... :)
kade
Hi Brooke,
What a great post! So often we seem to "fall apart" when things aggravating happen to us. It is so true that focusing on the brighter side of things always seems to make the situation better! Are you still coming to BJU this fall? August 30th seems to be getting closer! (:
Oh yes, this is Holly by the way! lol forgot to sign my comment (~;
Hey,
I understand what you mean. I really do not like those days when you are somewhere and you realize you are missing something. It happened to me one time when I was at my cousin's graduation. I realized that my phone was missing in the middle of the graduation but then I kept thinking about it and let just say I didnt really concentrate on the graduation. So all in all it ruined the day but in the end I found the phone in our truck. That would have been a great exercise but I guess I will have to remember that next time. Being grateful for little things is always important.
Two of my older brothers are going to state universities while one of my older brothers is going to a private christian college in Michigan. So three of my older brothers in college and five younger siblings being homeschooled. Is your whole family still in the homeschooling mode or are you the first to go to college?
Sorry for such a long comment.
In Christ, Nathan
Post a Comment